Ontario's beef farmers deserve an Association they can trust. Beef Farmers of Ontario (BFO) supports its members with tenacious dedication and resolve. As producers themselves, the leadership of the organization is motivated to make responsible decisions for the betterment of the entire Ontario beef industry.
BFO provides support, leadership, information and education between Ontario’s community of beef farmers and the industry, government, media and the general public. BFO is actively engaged in a range of issues and supports its membership in the following ways:
- Advocating on federal and provincial beef related issues and initiatives
- Policy planning
- Development of industry programs and services
- Industry sustainability
- Market information and analysis
- Production and marketing research
- Promotion of beef
- Communication through various mediums
- Complimentary subscription to Ontario Beef magazine
The Beef Farmers of Ontario’s Constitution provides that any person who has paid a BFO licence fee deduction (check-off) or an annual membership fee is a member of BFO. Farmers are also encouraged to seek membership in their local affiliated county or district branch.
As described in the BFO Constitution:
The following persons may become members of the Association, upon payment of check-off
- A person who is a bona-fide cattle producer in Ontario, or;
- A person who:
- feeds cattle that are owned by someone else; and
- owns or rents, in his or her name, the land upon which the cattle are fed; and
- actively controls and directs the management of the cattle while they are being fed on that land.
The annual membership fee fixed to be paid by persons who qualify as members as outlined above, shall be as follows:
- Where the person has paid a license fee to the Association pursuant to the Beef Cattle Marketing Act of Ontario during the period from January 1 to December 31 of the preceding year.
- Where the person meets the requirements above but has marketed cattle only in such a manner as to be exempt from payment of license fees under the Beef Cattle Marketing Act of Ontario, the annual membership fee is $25.00 and shall be paid to the Association. Click here to download a membership form.