Career Opportunity with BFO
Senior Communications Specialist
Beef Farmers of Ontario (BFO) is a progressive people-oriented organization with an excellent reputation as an advocate for Ontario’s more than 19,000 beef farmers. We require a well-organized and experienced Senior Communications Specialist. The successful candidate will have strong communications skills, will be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and will work well in a positive team environment. As part of the communications team, the Senior Communications Specialist will be responsible for managing the production of the Ontario Beef magazine, developing marketing/communications copy and content targeted towards BFO members, government officials and the general public, preparing news releases, providing issues management support, and event/meeting management. The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Manager of Communications & Marketing.
Specific job functions include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the production of Ontario Beef magazine, including content development, layout, coordination of internal/external submissions, and work closely with the Ontario Beef Advertising Manager.
- Develop creative content for various communication channels, including print, social media, website, e-newsletters etc., which are targeted to various stakeholders.
- Prepare, research, edit, and format various documents, reports, and presentations as required.
- Develop presentations and speeches.
- Contribute to the successful implementation of BFO's strategic plan and Regional Marketing Initiative.
- Develop an understanding of the Ontario beef industry and how to best communicate to all target audiences.
- Develop issues management resources and crisis communication strategies, and assist with media relations.
- Prepare copywriting for promotional brochures and a wide variety of marketing tools.
- Maintain consistent visual communications that align with BFO's brand standards and guidelines.
- Support BFO's Marketing & Promotions Committee by preparing meeting minutes and coordination of meetings.
- Organize and assist in event planning, including the Annual General Meeting.
- Attend tradeshows and events, as needed.
- University degree or diploma in business, marketing, communications or journalism preferred, or equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a communications role.
- Advanced writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Proven creativity through written and/or visual mediums.
- Strong design and brand sensitivity.
- Excellent project management, time management and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to work under demanding deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Computer literacy in MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and social media platforms.
- Agriculture background and/or understanding of beef production will be considered an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
- Flexibility to travel and willingness to work outside of normal office hours when required.
If you are interested in this Senior Communications Specialist position, please submit your resume, cover letter and one writing sample to the attention of Tammy Purdham
, BFO Office Administrator by email, no later than 4:00 pm on September 21, 2017
The Beef Farmers of Ontario is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to fully participate in our application or hiring processes. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
The Beef Farmers of Ontario wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Back to Newsroom