The Beef Farmers of Ontario Research Investment Strategy 2014-2020 outlines the following themes and outcomes:
- Outcome: By 2020 Ontario beef cows have a health status that enables a longer, more productive and profitable life than in 2014. Calves are more robust, require less pharmaceutical intervention and regain optimal growth rates more quickly than in 2014.
- Outcome: Ontario beef production meets or exceeds the standards outlined in the national Code of practice for standards of care and handling of Canadian beef cattle 2013.
- Outcome: Ontario cattle producers and processors are measurably reducing the environmental footprint of the industry.
- Outcome: The Ontario beef industry is taking advantage of opportunities along the value chain that enable all sectors to be profitable and sustainable.
- Outcome: Ontario Beef is a fully traceable, reliably safe animal protein.
Genetics and Reproduction
- Outcome: Genetic and reproduction technologies are being fully utilized as management tools to maximize profitability.
Market Research (Consumer Preference)
- Outcome: Accurate and timely market intelligence is enabling the industry to produce Ontario Beef that continually meets or exceeds consumer expectations.
Nutrition and Feeding Systems
- Outcome: Based on available feed options, producers are able to formulate rations to competitively satisfy nutritional and market requirements.
- Outcome: The industry is measurably growing as a result of improved/alternative production systems being implemented across the Province.
- Outcome: Ontario beef is consistently meeting consumer demands.
To download the BFO Research Investment Strategy 2014-2020, click here.