Career Opportunity with BFO
Senior Policy Advisor
Beef Farmers of Ontario (BFO) is a progressive people-oriented organization with an excellent reputation as an advocate for Ontario’s more than 19,000 beef farmers. BFO is currently seeking a full-time Senior Policy Advisor to provide research and policy analysis on a wide array of issues affecting the Ontario beef industry.
Interested candidates must have a university education in a related field. Candidates with degrees in public policy, political science, economics, agriculture or business are particularly well-suited for this role, and must have excellent written and oral communication skills, highly developed analytical abilities, and a strategic approach to issues with proficiency in relationship-building.
Knowledge of agricultural production and the broader agri-food industry is considered an asset. Experience working on behalf of and/or reporting to an industry or volunteer board/committee/management group would also be considered an asset.
Major areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Research and document a variety of issues facing the beef and broader agriculture industry
- Explore policy options and assess how these fit with the positions held by other organizations and with existing federal and provincial government priorities
- Prepare position papers, briefing notes and strategy documents for consideration by the BFO Board of Directors
- Assist in development and execution of government relations strategies
- Work closely with the BFO staff in the development of coherent and strategic messaging
- Monitor federal and provincial legislation
- Act as an industry liaison with federal and provincial governments, elected officials and staff, and other external stakeholders
- Periodic project management duties as required
- University degree in a related field such as public policy, political science, economics, agriculture or business
- Prior experience in strategic communications, policy analysis, and/or issues management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly developed analytical abilities
- Ability to strategically approach a variety of interconnected issues
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize activities
- Strong detail orientation and drive for accuracy
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- A valid Ontario drivers’ licence
Compensation for the position is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, paid vacation, a matching RRSP program, and the potential for flexible work arrangements.
If you are interested in this Senior Policy Advisor position, please submit your resume and cover letter to the attention of Richard Horne, BFO Manager of Policy and Issues, by email (email@example.com), no later than 4:00 pm on June 21, 2019.
The Beef Farmers of Ontario is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to fully participate in our application or hiring processes. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
The Beef Farmers of Ontario wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Back to Newsroom