The Ontario Beef Breeder Co-operative Program is a program supported by the Beef Farmers of Ontario. Eight co-ops have been formed in various regions of the province to provide members with loans to purchase beef breeding females. To check if your area is covered by a breeder co-op, please see the list below.
How your Beef Breeder Co-op can work for you
- Apply to the co-op's board of directors for membership.
- Eligible members include individuals who are at least 18 years of age and who are landowners or who rent land, or are voting shareholders in partnerships or corporations owning land in Ontario.
- After becoming a member, apply for a purchase order for the amount of anticipated breeding female purchase. Depending on co-op, maximum funding per member ranges from $50,000 to $150,000. If you have not calved out 20 cows in previous year you are limited to a maximum of $25,000.
- Most loans are payable over a five year term.
- Once you receive a purchase order, breeding females may be purchased in the name of the co-op.
- Females are tagged with co-op tags and inspected by their supervisor.
- The co-op facilitates the payment for the cattle.
- Offspring are sold in the name of the co-op and the member’s name, then the loan payment is made.
Costs to Members
Each co-op charges an annual membership fee, administration cost, insurance and tag cost. A 15% security deposit based on loan amount is required.
Ontario Beef Breeder Co-op Program Administrator Contact Information
|Bruce-Grey Beef Cow Finance Co-op
||Grey, Bruce, West Simcoe
|East Beef Breeder Co-op
||Hastings, Prince Edward, L&A, Frontenac, Leeds
|Huron-Perth-Middlesex Beef Breeder Co-op
||Huron, Perth, Middlesex
|Ottawa Valley Beef Breeder Co-op
||Carleton, Lanark, Renfrew
|Rainy River Beef Breeder Co-op
||Dryden, Rainy River, Thunder Bay, Kenora
|South Queens Breeder Finance Co-op
||South Bruce, South Grey, North Huron, North Wellington
||Craig Grubb, President
|Southwest Beef Breeder Co-op
||Lambton, Essex, Kent & East to 403
|Temiskaming/Cochrane Beef Breeder Co-op
||Northeastern Ontario and Manitoulin Island
To view the Ontario Beef Breeder Co-op Program's privacy statement, click here.