Forage Rainfall Plan

The Forage Rainfall Plan is administerd by Agricorp.

About Forage Rainfall

The forage rainfall plan uses rainfall as an indicator of quantity and/or quality of forage. There are two ways the Forage Rainfall plan can protect your established forage. Get coverage for:

  • Insufficient rainfall during May, June, July and August. 
  • Excess rainfall during first cut. 

Insufficient rainfall option

If the measured rainfall at the station you choose during the insured period is less than 85 per cent of the long-term average rainfall for your area, a claim may be paid.

Excess rainfall option

If you get rainfall when you are hoping to harvest, you may have lower quality hay. Or if you have to wait to harvest you will lose nutritional quality due to over-maturity. If this happens, your claim payment will help offset additional costs or losses due to rainfall.

You can apply for one or both options. Total claims for both options cannot exceed the chosen insured value of the forage grown.

What Production Insurance offers

  • Peace of mind.
  • Dependable collateral with financial institutions.
  • Affordable coverage that is cost-shared with government.
  • Premiums that are tax deductible as an operating expense.
  • Claim payments that reflect market prices.
  • Individual crop plans that accommodate unique aspects of each insurable crop.
  • Payments that are made within the year the loss occurred (in most cases).

Funding partners

Production Insurance is part of the suite of programs available under Growing Forward 2. In most plans, producers pay 40 per cent of the total premium cost and none of the administrative cost. Together, the federal and provincial governments contribute the other 60 per cent. Administrative costs are fully funded by both levels of government.

For details on how the program works, click here

© Copyright 2023 Beef Farmers of Ontario